Sunday 14 July 2013

The Captain's Response


Just when you thought it was all over the captain demands a right of reply. So here you go, its the captain's response.

 

Now so close to journey’s end,
Mute, I can no longer be.
Party to blogger’s preview,
Amendments refused – though courteously.
Who would think a sardine,
Would have so much to write,
An educated comment
Upon his three month plight.
 

It seems our journey’s highlights,
Don’t exactly overlay.
Let’s say a different emphasis,
Would my action replay.
Encouragement from boaters,
To buy and live aboard.
Plans for future travel,
On canals not yet explored.


I detect a relaxation -
Now, in this little fish.
Dependent on the weather,
Propeller smooth with no rubbish.
A shot of art or culture,
A visit from some mates,
A successful boat manoeuvre,
Enjoyment does inflate.
 

But when the waters darken,
Urban sharks their trails weave.
Would  key and windlass be preferential,
Or driving my fish please?
Excursions to the weed hatch,
When more than once a day,
Are inclined to make small ‘Nemo’,
Want to swim away.


Reluctance – well it still prevails,
But hope for me is bright.
The waterways of France,
May both of us delight.
I wonder if reluctance,
Feeds on oil or brine.
For this sardine the cure must be,
A slug of good French wine.
 

And finally a thank you,
Is certainly deserved.
To leave me and Fandango,
Would have been quite absurd.
And did I hear you saying,
After a gin or two,
That three months of fond memories,
Would always be with you!!!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touched that your shared experience of the last three months has been such a good one - and delighted that Fandango was able to play a part. I'd say, come again, but I suspect the reluctance will kick in with a vengance! Very sad to have missed it all 'live' but I'll definitely read all the back numbers now. Nick (he of Fandango, but uncertain about the 'meticulous' epithet!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bard in the making I see now is it like Robbie Burns or our dear Will. I'm so impressed that you have stayed so calm John but I can sense there were some ' moments' as for the new groupies we look forward to the possibilies of France.
    It has been a joy to watch for your blogs and they will be missed. What adventure next will cause you to pick up your pen ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely response, Ros! Will be very envious if you venture into France for your next boating experience... x
    (AB)

    ReplyDelete